Saturday, June 23

(extra)ordinary

I usually pass by words “I know” like I pass by buildings I’ve “already seen”: they are mere signposts (brief, efficient) on my way to where I want to get.

So – usually – “extraordinary” is the antonym of “ordinary”: it’s something out of the ordinary (or normal, usual, everyday, average, etc.). Or beyond the ordinary. (beyond: further than, past, away from, etc. – I’m using the ordinary thesaurus installed on most computers).

Ok, that’s all clear. Or?... If I take the time and swing among the “synonyms”, the whole setting begins to lose its antagonistic appearance. Going further than… So I’m walking – as usual – in the dull sameness. There are some extra steps I can take to suddenly find myself in an entirely different, exciting place?... (HOW MANY?!...) The extraordinarily green grass and blue sky don’t seem to be too far away, though. Further than, past, away from (the ordinary).

[Furthermore: the two words sound too close for us not to suspect that either 1) they’re actually not too far apart even as we speak or 2) albeit spotted far away from each other, they’re nonetheless close – blood – relatives.]

So we’re talking about some degrees or steps – let’s settle for steps here. I don’t know how many. Say 100? 10?... Question: can we summon the extraordinary from anywhere in the ordinary we happen to be – no extra steps?...

Maybe. What’s sure is that there’s no recipe (otherwise predictable, therefore ordinary)… What can be practiced however is getting away from the regular, habitual, familiar, etc. No heroic, total departures. Just a few steps around the border, to start with.

Anybody knowing helpful “tricks”?... I’m thinking of sharing a couple of self-discovered ones here – don’t expect anything out of the ordinary!…

No comments: