Monday, November 19

Limbo

A couple of days ago my mind found itself crunching on the subject of theft, from the most material type to the subtler forms where it becomes acceptable, rational or even a desirable action. Many instances and people came to my mind. I’ve also sniffed my own acts and underlying thoughts for such scents. Not detecting anything obvious, full of luminous self approval, went to my room and leafed through St. Augustine’s confessions (just purchased). The first paragraph my eyes landed on – Book II, Chapter VI: “What then did wretched I so love in thee, thou theft of mine, thou deed of darkness, in that sixteenth year of my age? […] Fair were the pears we stole […]”. That adolescent night came back in an instant: I stole those pears!... (what a blow: theft in its most material form! I’m afraid to find out what else I might have done…)

Coincidence. You know: a friend you’ve been thinking of calls you. The unusual word you’ve just uttered is written on – say – the bus you see in the very next instant. An idea that interests you pops up immediately in an email you receive, a magazine you’re reading, or in a conversation with a taxi driver.

Nothing that out of the ordinary. Besides, enchanting the explanatory word ‘coincidence!’ quickly dispels the traces of any incipient extra-ordinary.

[In spite of – or as a complement to – the uplifting excitement that sneaks in while we’re busy being surprised, there’s an unbearable itch to finish with it all: touching down with the known ground is imperative and relieving.]

And if you start and think about it all, there’s the progressive possibility that the fluttery unknown is just yet to be pinned down, classified, and recycled in a larger scheme of things where the old cause-effect dyad reliably continues to produce rationales, should we need them.

[The downside of the Mechanism is that it can get stuck. As the universe turns inert to historically well documented actions, the confident march towards the envisioned goal can end up in a blind alley – hence the word ‘luck’ in the mechanical-positive vocabulary.]

But what if, instead of yet uncharted elements of an ever more encompassing system – will there ever be an end: a Wholy Scheme – coincidences actually signal flaws of the mockup structure we’ve managed to erect so far? They may be cracks through which a parallel, altogether different kind of Universe – responsive, warm – is spreading its soft substance.

[An inkling follows immediately: one crack left unmended, and an increasing flow of possibly ever more mind-blowing coincidences might work their way through.]

Try this one out, too: next time a coincidence comes your way, don’t label it. Let it be.

[And let me know how it all goes! I have to confess, I’m not sure what I should do: fight within the System, or let myself flow with the Unknown – I’m currently doing none of these. Perhaps striking a balance?... Hmm… doesn’t that smell like mere calculus? A son of the System in disguise... Tuig were preaching a leap of faith (sorry: a crap post about a great show). Can I be sure?... I think… hmm… err…]

1 comment:

corina said...

Great topic my friend. My view is ...........what if there are no coincidences. What if that type of existence was the norm in the past and now it just happens from time to time showing us what we can achieve if we just are and if we just let go.